By Starrla Cray
WINSTED, MN The 2014 Winsted Winter Festival (Friday, Dec. 5 and Saturday, Dec. 6) promises to be a weekend of light and color.
A residential lighting contest will take place Wednesday, Dec. 3, and businesses are also welcome to participate this year. To be included, have your holiday display turned on by 5:30 p.m.
The top three lighted homes will win $100, $75, and $50 in Winsted Bucks, and the brightest business will be given a free Winsted Area Chamber of Commerce membership for 2015.
The public will have another opportunity to get Winsted Bucks Saturday, Dec. 6 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Blue Note. For every $50 purchased, an extra $5 will be given. Winsted Bucks can be spent at any participating business in town.
Several activities are planned at the Blue Note from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, including a visit from Santa with photos by Ruben Duran. Face painting, sandy candy, and hair feathers will be available from What’s Next Art Studio.
For lunch, the Winsted royalty will serve barbecue sandwiches, hot dogs, and chips.
Dessert and coffee can be purchased at the bake/craft sale and dessert social hosted by the Holy Trinity Council of Catholic Women (CCW). Eat-in and take-out treats will be available at the Blue Note from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hayrides, sponsored by Fleischacker Landscaping and Carlson's Orchard, will leave from the Blue Note from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Children can also sign up to win a model train, and participate in a coloring contest. In addition, the Winsted Arts Council will show people how to create a bookmark using a frost painting technique.
Outside the Blue Note, a vintage snowmobile show and swap meet will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For details, contact Rick Menden at (320) 485-4269 or Greg Davidson at (320) 485-2326.
New this year, the Winsted Arts Council is sponsoring a “Feathers & Strings” performance with The Hunter Marionettes at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6 at the Winsted Arts Center (141 Main Ave). The Hunter Marionettes have more than 20 years of puppetry performance experience.
For supper on Saturday, the public is invited to a $6 chili dinner in the Holy Trinity Social Hall (church basement) from 4 to 8 p.m. Money raised will help support the Holy Trinity fine arts trip to New York City.
The third annual Winsted Christmas tree lighting contest and singing of Christmas carols will take place at 5:30 p.m. on the lake promenade, next to Mill Reserve Park. Hot chocolate will be for sale from the Holy Trinity fine arts group.
Afterward, starting at 6:30 p.m., a lighted parade will take place through downtown Winsted. This year’s grand marshals, the Winsted Fire Department, will lead the way.
Royalty and businesses/organizations from the surrounding area are encouraged to participate. No pre-registration is required; participants should line up near the Blue Note.
So much celebrating
A few other events through the week include:
• Winsted Area Community Choir concert Thursday, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. in the Blue Note Ballroom, followed by a dessert social.
• Open houses Friday, Dec. 5 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Security Bank & Trust, The Attic, and Hussong’s Liquor (wine and beer tasting).
• Christmas concert featuring the Kingery Family at 7:15 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5 at St. John’s Lutheran Church. Beverages and hors d’oeuvres will be served prior to the concert, starting at 6 p.m.
• Giving tree at Flagship Insurance Services (131 6th St. N.) which will be decorated with giving tree ornaments labeled with local children’s names and their Christmas wish.
• Silent auction at the library Friday, Dec. 5 from 2 to 5 p.m. and Saturday, Dec. 6 from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. New and gently-used items are being accepted.
• Open house at Truhaven Ranch in Winsted Sunday, Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with goodies and a chance to meet staff, horses, and a pot-bellied pig named Petunia.
Buy a button, win prizes
Buy a Winsted Winter Festival button for a chance to win $100, $75, or $50 in Winsted Bucks. The McLeod Emergency Food Shelf will receive 50 cents for each purchase. Buttons are available for $2 from Winsted royalty and at the following establishments:
• Security Bank & Trust
• Glenn’s SuperValu
• JoEllen’s New Image Salon
• Keaveny Drug
• Pantry Cafe
• Blue Note
• Winsted Public Library