Farm Horizons, August 2017
Minnesota State Fair sneak peek
By Jennifer Von Ohlen
While almost every county has its own local fair, the Minnesota State Fair scheduled to take place Thursday, Aug. 24 through Monday, Sept. 4 brings everyone together to get the most out of the final days of summer.
Free with fair admission
Minnesota State Fair-goers will have free access into several events throughout the fair, some of which are described below. Look for the daily state fair schedule to be posted at mnstatefair.org to get more information regarding the dates and times of the listed events. The schedule is expected to be available mid-August. Here are the events to keep an eye out for:
• Minnesota State Fair Horse Show. Watch multiple horse breeds compete in several events throughout the 12 days of the fair. Some of the performances will include a cutting horse challenge, bull riding, and more.
• The North Woods will feature the All-Star Dogs Splash, and include Timberworks Lumberjack Shows.
• Arts A’Fair, a showcase featuring “the best of Minnesota’s performing arts.”
• 3rd Lair Skatepark. Watch skateboarders and BMX bikers perform tricks at the X-zone.
• Math On-A-Stick. Attendees can count their way through the fair with a Number Game scavenger hunt.
• Festival of Nations Demonstrations stage. View worldwide shows daily at the International Bazaar.
• Participate in the Garden Stage karaoke.
• State fair parades will happen daily at 2 p.m. The parade(s) will include floats, marching bands, and more.
Several of the fair days will have admission discounts available when purchasing tickets at the gate:
• Thrifty Thursday, Aug. 24: adults and seniors $13; kids $12.
• Seniors and kids’ day Monday, Aug. 28: seniors and kids $9.
• Military appreciation day Tuesday, Aug. 29: active military families, retired military and spouses, and veterans and spouses can access the fair for $9 after showing documentation.
• Read and ride day Wednesday, Aug. 30: adults can access the fair for $12 and seniors and kids can get in for $9 after showing a valid public library card.
• Seniors day, Thursday, Aug. 31: senior discount of $9.
• Kids’ and last chance day, Monday, Sept. 4: kid tickets for $9.
Who’ll be in the grandstand?
For many visitors, one of the highlights at the Minnesota State Fair is attending the concert(s) put on by visiting music artists in the grandstand. Tickets can be purchased at mnstatefair.org.
Music artists who will be performing this year include:
• Nickelback, featuring special guest Daughtry: Thursday, Aug. 24 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $80 and $65.
• Stevie Nicks, featuring special guest Vanessa Carlton: Friday, Aug. 25 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $90, $74, and $49.
• Jim Gaffigan: Saturday, Aug. 26 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $60 and $50.
• Toby Keith, featuring special guest 3 Doors Down: Sunday, Aug. 27 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $68.50 and $53;
• Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons: Monday, Aug. 28 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $29.
• John Mellencamp, featuring special guest Carlene Carter: Tuesday, Aug. 29 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $64 and $49.
• Pentatonix (special guest to be announced): Wednesday, Aug. 30 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $50 and $40.
• Usher, featuring special guest Black Coffee: Thursday, Aug. 31 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $97, $87, and $72.
• The Minnesota Show with Garrison Keillor: Friday, Sept. 1 at 7:45 p.m. Tickets are $36 and $28.
• The Current’s Music On-A-Stick, featuring Phantogram with special guests Lucius and Now, Now: Saturday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $25.
• MSF Amateur Talent Contest Finals: Sunday, Sept. 3 at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free.
• Sam Hunt, featuring special guests LANCO and Ryan Follese: Monday, Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $68 and $58.