HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted School District 2687
School Board Meeting Minutes
June 9, 2014
The June 9, 2014 Regular School Board meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:03 p.m. by Chairman Schaible. After the Pledge of Allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Schaible, Heuer, Tintes, Smith and Kocher; absent: Wiech, and Weibel. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principals Jason Mix, Jim Schimelpfenig, and Jennifer Olson, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Schaible recommended changing item J-instead of accepting a transportation contract, after the Superintendent presents the transportation information we will vote on sending it out to bid and collect bids for a transportation contract.
Heuer motioned to approve the agenda with the change; Smith seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V) Charlie Bush asked the board what is the projected budget. Sellner indicated he wasn’t sure of exact numbers. Wilson said it is $10-$11 million. Bush asked about the budget surplus. Bush asked the board to consider three things: 1) supplies for K-4 students; 2) fees-athletic and extra-curricular; 3) the article in the paper about two 12 year old girls who stabbed another girl because of what they saw on the internet. Schaible commented the reserve is not as if we have extra money, it is for paying our bills when the state delays payments, and any unforeseen repairs, maintenance, or purchases that arise. Bush commented he had a problem paying for chrome books, but we ask our elementary students to buy notebooks and supplies. Bush said he has not heard the board discuss this much. Sellner indicated the board has discussed the fees and supplies; however Mr. Bush was not in attendance. Tintes indicated we did allow free admission to seniors because of this issue being brought up last year. Smith asked Bush to prioritize the three items presented. Bush indicated the fees would be top priority. Tintes said he didn’t understand the surplus when he first started on the board, but now he understands it. Sellner mentioned the money has been used to pay bills instead of having to borrow funds and pay interest on those funds, thus saving the district money. Sellner also indicated we didn’t have to cut when other districts were, and our supplies and fees are similar to others in our conference, except for maybe one or two grades for supplies. Heuer indicated if someone can’t pay, we don’t turn them away. Tintes reported the district chose to provide all day kindergarten as a benefit to the community. Bush said but the district received the funds from increased enrollment. Sellner said the increased funding is for next year; for the first two years the district has paid.
(Item VI) Tintes motioned to approve the consent agenda which included May 12, 2014 regular board meeting minutes, May 27, 2014 work session meeting minutes, June bills, June enrollment, approving the parental leave for Annette Hystad effective the start of the 2014-15 school year to October 6, 2014; the resignation of Jessica Bogdan, Winsted Elementary Kindergarten teacher effective the end of the 2013-14 school year; Kassandra Gibbons, Middle & High School Art teacher effective the end of the 2013-14 school year; Leah Jenzen, Humphrey Elementary teacher effective the end of the 2013-14 school year; Abby Carlson, Winsted Elementary teacher effective the end of the 2013-14 school year; Maggie Olson, ECFE Coordinator, effective June 30, 2014; and Paul Weibel as a school board member effective May 27, 2014, approving the employment of Gary Schmidt as Trap Shooting Coach; and Amanda Byrne as the Middle School Speech Coach, communications: Resource Training and Solutions Communicator, and Teaching Today Summer 2014, and the following recognitions:
The School Board recognizes Joe and Jennifer Gallus who paid for taxidermy of a Great Horned Owl, and then donated it to HLWW Ag Department. We appreciate your donation and support of the school district.
• The School Board recognizes the spring coaching staff for their willingness and adjustments made due to the challenging spring weather. Thank you everyone for your dedication to the school district and its athletic programs.
• The School Board recognizes Elyssa Erickson who was honored by the band with the John Philip Sousa Award and the National School Choral Award was given to Benenon Shannon. Each year a senior band and senior choir member are selected by their peers to receive the John Philip Sousa Award and the National School Choral Award. Students are selected based on their contributions to the school music program and exemplary conduct and cooperation in band and choir. Congratulations Elyssa and Benenon.
• The School Board recognizes the Baseball team for winning the CMC championship for the second year in a row. Congratulations to the players and coaching staff on a successful year.
The School Board recognizes Blake Klinkner on qualifying for the State Track meet in Shot Put. Congratulations Blake on a successful season and best of luck at the State meet.
• The School Board recognizes Abby Miller and Garrett Zander who were names 2013-14 Athletes of the year. Congratulations Abby and Garrett on a great athletic career at HLWW. We wish you all the best as you meet all your future goals.
• The School Board recognizes Josh Westling and Nicki Schahn in their organization and presentation of Field Day at each of the elementary buildings. Field day was well attended, despite the rescheduling due to weather, and everyone had a great time participating in the events. Thank you for your creativity and passion to provide fun, healthy activities for students.
• The School Board recognizes Nikki Kutz for supervising the morning AR lab sessions at Winsted elementary building on a weekly basis. Thank you for your donation of time to allow students to work towards their quarterly and yearly AR goals.
• The School Board recognizes Irene Woitalla and the numerous volunteers who provided an amazing learning experience for fourth grade students. Your continued support, countless hours and patience to share a life-long pastime with our kids is second to none.
• The School Board recognizes Winsted Mayor Steve Stotko, Superintendent Sellner, Jake Stifter of StarWest Auto, Michelle Johnson and Jim Weninger, the Herald Journal , the Winsted Elementary Student Council (Shelby Dolly, Brooke Olund, Lily Bobrowske and Carson Gagnon), MESPA Executive Director Jon Millerhagen, and the Winsted Police Department for their involvement of the School of Excellence celebration. Without these individuals, our celebration would not have been a success. Thank you for your involvement and support of our school!!
Smith seconded; passed unanimously.
Sellner also indicated Mr. Schmidt will give a presentation in the fall about trapshooting, and as of now we have 25 students interested.
(Item VII, Subd. A) Jason Peterson, from Kraus Anderson, gave an updated on the middle school building project.
(Item VII, Subd. B) Heuer motioned to approve RAM Mutual as our workers compensation carrier; Smith seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. C) Tintes motioned to approve the treasurer’s report; Kocher seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. D) Principal Schimelpfenig reviewed the teacher evaluation plan.
(Item VII, Subd. E) Sellner reported MSBA recommends appointing a board member to fill the vacancy. We suggest placing an ad in the paper, interview candidates, and make a selection for possible appointment at an upcoming meeting.
(Item VII, Subd. F) Tintes motioned to adopt the resolution establishing dates for filing affidavits of candidacy; Heuer seconded; those in favor: Smith, Kocher, Tintes, Heuer, and Schaible; opposed: none; motion passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. G) Sellner indicated we will be requesting quotes for fuel, snow plowing and commodities (milk and bread). Mumford Sanitation indicated last year they would extend the contract for an additional year at the same rates.
(Item VII, Subd. H) Smith motioned to approve First Aid and CPR training for coaches; Kocher seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. I) Superintendent Sellner reviewed the athletic logos.
(Item VII, Subd. J) Heuer motioned to approve the Superintendent to go out for quotes for a service contract and sale of buses; Smith seconded; Sellner also indicated to include a buy back clause; all in favor; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. K) Tintes motioned to approve the District Parent Involvement Plan; Heuer seconded; passed unanimously.
Tintes motioned to approve the School Parent Involvement Plan; Smith seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. A) Principal Olson gave a report.
Principal Schimelpfenig gave a report.
Principal Mix’s report is at your table.
(Item VIII, Subd. B) Each Board member gave a committee report.
(Item VIII, Subd. C) Superintendent Sellner gave a report.
(Item IX) Next Meeting Dates:
• Work Session Meeting - Monday June 23, 2014 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
• Regular Board Meeting - Monday July 14, 2014 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
(Item X) Items for next meeting
• Truth in Taxation Hearing Dates
• Health and Safety Approval
• Employment Recommendation
Tintes motioned to adjourn at 8:25 p.m.; Smith seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk
Published in the Herald Journal July 21, 2014.