HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|BOARD OF EDUCATION WORK SESSION MEETING
Monday, September 28, 2015
HLWW HS Media Center
The September 28, 2015 School Board Work Session meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chairperson Wiech. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Tintes, Bush, Bravinder and Kocher; absent: Diers, and Heuer. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principals Jason Mix, Jim Schimelpfenig, and Jennifer Olson, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Bravinder motioned to approve the agenda; Kocher seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. A) Kelli Westling, Dean of Students/Assessment Coordinator, reviewed the summary of the World’s Best Work Force Plan. Westling reviewed all the criteria that the district uses to comply with the World’s Best Work Force Plan. Bush expressed concern over testing. Westling reviewed the Star testing data. Superintendent Sellner indicated we wanted to show you the new assessment tool we are using for the World’s Best Work Force.
(Item V, Subd. B) Wiech reported the suggestions for renaming the old middle school are included, if anyone has any other ideas please let us know. Sellner indicated we should make a decision at the October meeting so we can get signage for the building.
(Item V, Subd. C) Superintendent Sellner reported at the last meeting the following people said they would be building reps: Kocher for the High School, Heuer for Humphrey Elementary, Diers for Winsted Elementary and Bravinder for the Middle School. Bravinder asked Bush if he wanted to be the middle school rep, Bush declined.
(Item V, Subd. D) Had a discussion to incorporate teaching life skills such as, tying a tie, changing a tire, wedding and funeral etiquette, greetings and handshakes, etc. It’s been recommended that Mr. Bush meet with the advisory committees at the middle and high school to discuss these topics.
(Item VI, Subd. A) Principal Schimelpfenig reported:
• It has been an exciting start to the school year. Teachers are doing a phenomenal job on teaching the students about the new building.
•Our enrollment continues to grow.
• We have almost wrapped up with Star testing, and we have set up a time for St. James students to come over here to test.
• Homecoming started today with the pep fest on Friday, and community gathering after school on Friday before the game.
• There are still a few more things that need to be completed, but we keep moving forward.
Sellner indicated we offer the opportunity to St. James to purchase the testing modules because we get some of those students in 9th grade.
Principal Mix reported: Viewed this week’s KLaker video.
• KLaker has a green room, they have a video every week, everything is created and done by the students.
• School is going really well, we are operating on “#you matter”, every student has a connection.
We held a District Advisory and CEO meeting, and during the 2 hr. late start we working on PLC’s.
• Homecoming is this week and the pep fest if Friday with tailgating before the game.
• Honors breakfast is Thursday at 8 a.m.
The Community Concert is October 21st.
Principal Olson reported:
• Things at the elementary buildings have kicked off to a great start, the theme this year if flexibility.
• The students love the new lunch options
• We are still hiring some staff because of new students
• We are excited about the pep fest-it is always good to bridge the gap between the middle and high school.
• Parent teachers conferences are next week
• We will be partaking in the nationwide event, walking school bus, Wednesday October 7th K-4 grade students will be dropped off at Glen’s Super Value at 7:30 a.m. and we will walk to school as a group. We have partnered with the Winsted Police Department and McLeod County for additional support during this time.
• We have changed the date for muffins for moms and donuts for dads to October 12th.
• Winsted Elementary has been recognized as a four time reward school, thank you to the students, staff and families for their support.
(Item VI, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner reported:
• We hope to give you an idea at the October meeting what the percentage the levy increase will be, and have more details on how much asbestos abatement and new facilities funding granted by the state will effect it.
• On October 12th I will be going on a CEO class site visit. We are looking into doing something more locally.
Bush asked if insurance was taking a big jump. Sellner indicated we are looking at about a 10% increase; however teachers voted and approved some modification to existing plans to lower the increase to about 6%.
(Item VI, Subd. C) Upcoming Board Member Event Appearances:
Support Staff Awards St. Cloud September 30 (evening) Bravinder,
HS Honors Breakfast October 1 @ 8 a.m.
Homecoming Coronation October 2 @ 1:45 p.m.
Community Concert October 21 @ 1 p.m.
LEAA Awards St. Cloud November 4 @ 5:30 p.m. Bravinder,
Veterans Day Program November 11 @ 10 a.m.-HS, ----am @ MS
Donuts for Dads/Muffins for Moms November 18 @7:30 a.m.-Humphrey Elm; November 19 @ 7:30 a.m.-Winsted Elm
HS Fall Musical November 19-21 @7 p.m-.Bravinder
(Item VI, Subd. D) Tines reported he will be moving out of the district and there for will be resigning as a board member effective September 30, 2015.
Bravinder had some questions from people about when the field house will be open to the public. Sellner indicated we are still trying to figure that out, and Scott Berning and Margaret Marketon are looking into it. Bravinder also indicated there were some concerns over the condition of the auditorium which he will discuss with Principal Mix and Superintendent Sellner.
(Item VII) Next Meeting Dates:
• Regular Board Meeting - Monday October 12, 2015 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
• Work Session Meeting - Monday October 26, 2015 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
Wiech indicated she will not be attending the October work session. Sellner indicated that may be a good time to have a tour of the old middle school site.
(Item VIII) Items for next meeting
• Employment Recommendation
• First Reading of Policies
• Second Reading of Policies
• MAWSECO Project Update
• Approve Treasurer Report
• Approve Winter Coaching Staff
• Approve World’s Best Workforce Report
• Approve Teacher Seniority List Posting
• Approve Property & Liability Insurance
• Department Reports
Bravinder motioned to adjourn at 7:55 p.m.; Tintes seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk
Published in the Herald Journal Oct. 19, 2015.