HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|Board of Education Work Session Meeting
Monday, March 28, 2016
HLWW HS Media Center
The March 28, 2016 School Board Work Session meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chairperson Wiech. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Heuer, Bush, Diers, Bravinder and Kocher. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principals Jason Mix, Jim Schimelpfenig, and Jennifer Olson, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Heuer motioned to approve the agenda; Diers seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. A) Superintendent Sellner reviewed information about the solar panel project and the recommendations from Erin Kutz, our Flagship Insurance agent. Sellner asked if the board would like to move forward with this and have the Buildings and Grounds Committee meet to review the information. Wiech asked if there were any objections to move forward; the consensus was to have the Buildings and Grounds Committee review the information.
(Item V, Subd. B) Heuer motioned to approve the student overnight trip for High School Student Council students April 9-11, 2016; Kocher seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. C) Superintendent Sellner reviewed the preliminary budget for 2016-17. Sellner indicated with all items added up, the district would be spending down the fund balance by about $100,000.
(Item V, Subd. D) Principal Olson reviewed the potential elementary space needs for this fall due to increased enrollment. Olson reported we wanted to exhaust our current space areas before we need to look at portable or permanent classroom space.
(Item V, Subd. E) Wiech indicated Bush wanted to discuss the trophy auction. The board discussed the trophy auction.
(Item V, Subd. F) Wiech indicated Bush wanted to discuss recognizing current military who are graduates of HLWW. Sellner responded it was a good idea; however he and Principal Mix have not had the time to check into it further.
(Item V, Subd. G) Wiech indicated Bush wanted to discuss the graduation rate. The board discussed the graduation rate.
(Item V, Subd. H) Bush asked to table the discussion of senior class incentives until the next work session.
(Item VI, Subd. A) Principal Olson gave a report.
Principal Schimelpfenig gave a report.
Principal Mix gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. C) Upcoming Board Member Event Appearances:
• National Honor Society Banquet April 5 (evening)
• Middle School Art Crawl April 8 -1 p.m. (afternoon)
• Students of Excellence (St. Cloud) April 27 (evening)
• Spring Play April 29-30(evening)-Diers
• FFA Chapter Banquet May 7 (evening)-Diers
• Winsted Elementary Field Day May 13 @ 12:30 p.m.-Diers
• Athletics Awards Night May 16 @7 p.m.
• Wotila Fishing Expo May 18 @ 8:45 a.m.
• Humphrey Elementary Field Day May 20 @ 12:30 p.m.-Diers
• Middle School Field Day May 20 (afternoon)
• Elementary Kindergarten Program May 24 @ 6:00 p.m. - Diers & 7:15 p.m.
• Graduation June 5 @ 2 p.m. -Diers
Sellner reported the list for approved board appearance per diems is attached. The board discussed meeting per diems.
(Item VI, Subd. D) Superintendent reviewed the information from the City of Howard Lake regarding a tax incentive for a business.
(Item VII) Next Meeting Dates:
• Regular Board Meeting - Monday April 11, 2016 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
• Work Session Meeting - Monday April 25, 2016 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
(Item VIII) Items for next meeting
• Employment Recommendation/Lane Changes
• First Reading of Policies
• Second Reading of Policies
• Approve Treasurer Report
• Approve 2016-17 Preliminary Budget
• Department Reports-
• Approve Election Results
• Discuss Incentives for Senior Class Students
• Discuss Solar Project
Bravinder motioned to adjourn at 8:15 p.m.; Kocher seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk.
Published in the Herald Journal April 25, 2016.