HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|BOARD OF EDUCATION WORK SESSION MEETING
Monday, May 23, 2016
HLWW HS Media Center
The May 23, 2016 School Board Work Session meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:00 p.m.. by Chairperson Wiech. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Heuer, Diers, and Detlefsen; absent: Bush, and Kocher; Bravinder arrived at 6:02 p.m.. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principals Jason Mix, Jim Schimelpfenig, and Jennifer Olson, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Wiech asked to remove item C.
Heuer motioned to approve the agenda; Diers seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. A) Superintendent Sellner reviewed the finance software proposal, and indicated that we have discussed this in the past.
(Item V, Subd. B) High School Principal and Curriculum Director, Jason Mix, reviewed the Curriculum Reports for Ag and Gifted/Talented programs.
Superintendent Sellner asked if the board could discuss item G-budget items since the two FFA/Ag teachers are here. The consensus of the board was to discuss item G.
(Item V, Subd. G) Superintendent Sellner reviewed the budget items for art club, additional summer hours for FFA/Ag.
(Item V, Subd. C) High School Principal, Jason Mix, reviewed the incentives for senior class students.
(Item V, Subd. D) Elementary Principal Jennifer Olson reviewed the School and District Parent Involvement Plans.
(Item V, Subd. E) Superintendent Sellner reviewed summer transportation planning, the transportation director position, and short term leasing.
(Item V, Subd. F) Superintendent Sellner gave an update on playground equipment, the well project, and discussed the vacant lot across from the old middle school.
(Item V, Subd. G) Discussed earlier.
(Item V, Subd. H) Superintendent Sellner reviewed the proposal from Activities Director Scott Berning regarding a three sport activity student and family passes.
(Item V, Subd. I) Superintendent Sellner asked the board to consider using chrome books instead of IPads.
(Item V, Subd. J) Superintendent Sellner indicated the cost for the April 19, 2016 Special Election was $4,866.05.
(Item VI, Subd. A) Principal Olson gave a report.
Principal Schimelpfenig gave a report.
Principal Mix gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. C) Upcoming Board Member Event Appearances:
• Humphrey Elementary Field Day May 20 @ 12:30 .m. -Diers
• Middle School Field Day May 20 (afternoon) -Bush
• Elementary Kindergarten Program May 24 @ 6:00 p.m. - Diers & 7:15 p.m.
• Winsted Elementary Field Day-May 27
• Graduation June 5 @ 2 p.m.Diers, Kocher, Bravinder, Wiech, Heuer, Detlefsen
(Item VI, Subd. D) There were no new items from board members.
(Item VII) Next Meeting Dates:
• Regular Board Meeting - Monday June 13, 2016 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
• Work Session Meeting - Monday June 27, 2016 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
(Item VIII) Items for next meeting
• Employment Recommendation
• First Reading of Policies
• Second Reading of Policies
• Approve Treasurer Report
• Approve MAWSECO Program Leases
• Approve Non-Renewal of Teaching Contracts
• Approve the Resolution Establishing Dates for Filing Affidavits of Candidacy
• Approve Resolution for Wright Tech’s Long-Term Facility Maintenance Program
• Approve Curriculum Reports
• Approve Work Comp Renewal
• Approve School & District Parent Involvement Plans
• Approve Financial Software System with SMART Finance
• Department Reports
Heuer would like to discuss after prom vs senior party.
Wiech would like an update on the activity center regarding memberships and hours.
Bravinder would like to discuss what the process is for activity fees.
Bravinder motioned to adjourn at 7:40 p.m.; Heuer seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk
Published in the Herald Journal June 27, 2016.