HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|HLWW School Board Work Session
January 23, 2017
The January 23, 2017 School Board Work Session meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chairperson Wiech. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Lasiuk, Heuer, Bush, Bravinder, Diers and Detlefsen. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principals Jason Mix, Jim Schimelpfenig, and Jennifer Olson, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Wiech requested to add an employment hire for Laurie Nelson as item A and move everything else down, and remove the closed meeting.
Heuer motioned to approve the agenda with the changes; Diers seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. A) Superintendent Sellner recommended approval of Laurie Nelson for the additional District Office staff person.
Detlefsen motioned to approve Laurie Nelson for the additional district office staff person; Diers seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. B) Linda Wharram, Special Ed Coordinator, gave a presentation about Special Education.
(Item V, Subd. C) Superintendent Sellner asked if Mr. Bush wanted to start the discussion, because this was a topic he wanted to discuss. Bush asked about the ethics and etiquette being integrated in regards to technology use. Jesse Robertson, HLWW Technology Specialist, said it was part of the curriculum when he taught the seventh and eighth graders, but the high school students could use a refresher. Robertson also indicated when students pick up their chrome books we go thru care and that it is a school owned devise and that nothing is private.
(Item V, Subd. D) Wiech indicated Bush wanted to discuss full time, part time, hourly, and salaried employee time. Sellner indicated this is not confidential information; however the names were taken from a confidential report. Bush reported he was concerned about the amount of turn over that we’ve had. Bush expressed concern in the number of paraprofessionals that are employed at 5 1⁄2 hours. Sellner explained most of it is due to special education needs. Sellner indicated the district completes a pay equity study every three years in which these concerns are reviewed. Bravinder stated the administration is doing a great job with what we as a board have given them to work with.
(Item V, Subd. E) Wiech indicated that Paul Bravinder would like to be appointed to serve on the board of directors for Resource Training & Solutions.
Diers motioned to appoint Paul Bravinder to serve on the board of directors for Resource Training & Solutions; Detlefsen seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. F) Superintendent Sellner indicated the teacher group said to leave the comp day as it is shown on the school calendar for 2018-19. The consensus of the principals was to move the comp day to the end of the year to give flexibility for snow days. Wiech and Heuer indicated they like the idea of moving it to the end of the year. Sellner said we can narrow it down to the top two choices and bring those to the February meeting and ask for approval of one of them.
(Item VI, Subd. A) Principal Olson reported:
• The elementary finished the winter bench marks.
• The new staff we added has been doing great, and the shift to a new classroom went well.
• Conferences will be January 26 and 31.
• I will be at a state principal conference February 1-3.
• February is I love to read month, and you are welcome to stop by and read a book to a class.
• We are considering a literacy focus for our extended school day.
• Humphrey Elementary third and fourth grade music program will be February 23.
• Kindergarten registration will be March 4th and 11th.
Principal Schimelpfenig reported:
• The sixth grade returned from Deep Portage on Friday. They had good snow and temps were in the low 30’s. A special thanks to Pat Weseloh for keeping this opportunity for students going and thanks to the chaperons and to those who donated to make sure all students who wanted to go were able to attend.
• We completed second quarter.
• The middle school has added a newsletter which we are going to try to do monthly.
• We had the first meeting of a parent advisory group which is designed to provide feedback.
• We held the first middle school spelling bee; which was run the same as the national spelling bee.
• We are preparing for student led conferences.
• We will be conducting middle school secretary interviews tomorrow.
Principal Mix reported:
• Students took the time to prepare for their exams for the end of the semester.
• We had the first group complete the CNA class are will be taking state exams tomorrow.
• Last Wednesday Matthew Montgomery and Jana Hatrick represented HLWW at the sub section AAA banquet.
• We are planning for students taking the ACT test, most are scheduled to take it in April; we will have senior appreciation day and the ninth and tenth grade will be at college visits.
• We finished registering ninth thru eleventh grade students yesterday.
• Snow fest will be February 6-10.
• It is Paraprofessional appreciation week this week.
• Laker games will be this weekend, and sub section one act play will be Monday.
(Item VI, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner reported:
• We are planning budget meetings for February 2nd to start the planning process for the next school year.
• The Wellness Committee met today and will bring back an update for the Wellness policy.
• We are still in the planning process for the track.
• We will have items regarding the portable classrooms at Humphrey Elementary for the February meeting.
• Attached is a letter that is going out to all legislators talking about biennial growth.
(Item VI, Subd. C) Upcoming Board Member Event Appearances:
HS Honors Breakfast (9 - 12) February 9 (morning)
Snow Fest Coronation February 10 (afternoon)-Detlefsen
Humphrey Elementary Musical grades 3-4 February 23 @1 & 7 p.m. -Detlefsen
FFA Week Community Potluck February 24 (lunch) Diers
HS Band/Choir Concert February 28 @7 p.m.-Detlefsen
Community Ed Carnival March 3 (evening)
Winsted Elementary Musical Grade 1-2 March 9 @ 1 & 7 p.m.
National Honor Society Banquet April 3 (evening)
Middle School Art Crawl April 7 -1 p.m. (afternoon)
Spring Play April 28-29 (evening)
(Item VI, Subd. D) There were no updates on new items from board members.
(Item VII) Next Meeting Dates:
• Regular Board Meeting Monday February 13, 2017 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
• Work Session Meeting Monday February 27, 2017 6 p.m. HLWW HS Media Center
(Item VIII) Items for next meeting
• Employment Recommendations
• Approve School Board Committee Assignments
• Approve First Reading of Policies
• Approve 2018-19 School Calendar
• Present Handbook changes
• Review Revised 2016-17 Budget in March and approve in April
• Possible closed meeting for negotiations strategies
(Item IX) The closed meeting was removed.
Diers motioned to adjourn at 8:05 p.m.; Bravinder seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk
Published in the Herald Journal March 6, 2017.