HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
|BOARD OF EDUCATION WORK SESSION MEETING
Tuesday, May 29, 2018
HLWW HS Media Center
The May 29, 2018 School Board Work Session meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 6:01 p.m. by Chairperson Wiech. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Lasiuk, Bush, Diers and Detlefsen; Heuer arrived at 6:07 p.m..; absent: Bravinder. Also present were Superintendent Brad Sellner, Principal Jim Schimelpfenig and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Diers motioned to approve the agenda; Detlefsen seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V, Subd. A) The FFA students gave a presentation on this years State Convention. FFA Teachers Jim Weninger and Seena Glessing reviewed the summer Ag projects and other additional workshops and projects they will be working on this year.
(Item V, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner gave an update on the old Middle School green space project with the City of Howard Lake. Sellner reported the following updates:
• The property line is ok
• We are still waiting to hear back from the Minnesota Department of Education about the district number change
• The District’s legal counsel has reviewed the Quit Claim Deed and recommended some modifications. The City of Howard Lake has reviewed the modifications and is in agreement with them.
• We will need to pass a resolution stating that we will no longer have the need for the property for educational purposes. The District’s legal counsel is working on the paperwork and should have it for the June board meeting. The City of Howard Lake is very willing to work with us for any future temporary uses we may have for the property.
(Item V, Subd. C) Superintendent Sellner reported we do not have any hand carry items; however the budget will meet the target set by the board and we should have things finalized in the next few weeks. Sellner also reported the 2018-19 budget will be on the June meeting for approval.
Bush requested information on how the district pays for field trips, and if we can give an update on what the Guardian Angel Fund is used for and what the status is.
(Item V, Subd. D) Heuer motioned to approve the employment of Emily Rice and Jerome Sopkowiak; Lasiuk seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VI, Subd. A) Wiech indicated Principal Olson’s report is at your table. Sellner indicated Principal Mix gave his report at the regular meeting in May.
Principal Schimelpfenig gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. B) Superintendent Sellner gave a report.
(Item VI, Subd. C) Upcoming Board Member Event Appearances:
• HLWW Graduation June 3 @ 2 p.m. Diers, Wiech, Detlefsen, Heuer, Lasiuk, Bravinder
(Item VI, Subd. D) There were no updates from board members.
(Item VII) Next Meeting Dates:
• Regular Board Meeting - Monday June 11, 2018 6pm HLWW HS Media Center
• Work Session Meeting - Monday June 25, 2018 6pm HLWW HS Media Center
(Item VIII) Items for next meeting
• Employment Recommendations
• Approve First Reading of Policies
• Approve Second Reading of Policies
• Approve Work Comp Renewal
• Approve Q Comp Presentation
• Approve MAWSECO Lease Agreements
• Approve Lead in Drinking Water Testing and Remediation Policy
• Approve 2018-19 Budget
• Discuss Field Trips
• Guardian Angel Fund
Heuer motioned to adjourn at 6:51 p.m.; Diers seconded; passed unanimously.
Michelle Heuer, Clerk
Published in the Herald Journal June 22, 2018.