Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, March 16th, 2015 5:30 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: MerriLea Kyllo, Karla Heigl, Mary Otto, Corbey Hentges, Steve Ziermann and Rawelin Radtke. Administration present: Mike McNulty, Jeremy Schmidt and Blaine Walstrom. Guests: Ivan Raconteur of the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Radtke, seconded by Kyllo to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Reorganizational & Regular Board meeting of 02/02/15 & Work Session on 2/18/15, approval to pay bills in the amount of $148,225.09 & student activity fees of $648.17 were also included. Voting was 6 for, 0 against.
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Kyllo reported that they heard band members received a number of individual awards at contest.
B. Open dialogue - none
Mr. Schmidt’s K-12 Report: - Handed out report
• Students on the Honor Roll will receive cinnamon rolls for their efforts and accomplishment on Tuesday
• Great turn out parent/teacher conferences
• Geography Bee 1/7/15 Erik Hentges was the winner and now qualified for state Geography Bee held at St. Cloud State University
• List of up and coming events
• Reported student survey results on several adolescent topics, school safety, and Truancy
Mr. Walstrom Report: Handed out report
• Volleyball Tina Scherer back as JV coach, Kelly Elling C squad coach
• Winter sports teams wrap up seasons
• Spring teams to Start practices
• Spring Sports participation is down
• Ms. Olson is directing the Spring Play
• Some 8th graders to move to fill JV baseball team and 6th graders to fill JH baseball.
• Dean Neumann has stepped down as Head Boys Basketball Coach.
• Marv Ebensperger has stepped down as the Boys “C” squad Basketball coach
• Varsity Basketball coach position posted by the end of the month
• Girls Basketball and Boys Baseball moving to new sections
Dave Uecker Facilities Report: None
• Heigl discussed bathroom door issue and will follow up with door reinforcement
Mr. McNulty’s Superintendent Report: Handed out report
• Attended West Central Superintendent’s Meeting March 11th
- Main discussion Governor’s budget
- Need to inform our legislature need money in the formula
• Read thank you letter from Scott Newmann for letter of concern regarding budget
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed None
B. Community Ed. - None
C. LPPEA Carnival held on March 26th
a. Provided meal for staff during conferences
D. Facilities/Maint. Meetings being held for Facility planning
E. Tech/Media N/A
F. Activities Committee Coaching positions to be filled
a. Certified Met with Staff Feb. 25th
i. Committee members met March 4th
b. Non-Certified None
c. Administration Committee met on March 11th to discuss Superintendent candidates
H. Meet & Confer meet on March 18th
I. Policy - None
• District student count as of 3/10/2015 for K-12 is 412.
• Board to set Goals 2015-2016
- Board Member Development: Phase III Training and Annual Leadership Training to include Annual Strategic Planning
- Support Administration with transition to new Superintendent to provide stability and leadership
- Support Administration and Staff to continually upgrade the use of cutting-edge technology in our classrooms, especially as it relates to curriculum development and improvements
- Continue to review facilities needs: electrical upgrades, roofing requirements, window replacements, special education classroom and other needs.
- Continue to promote open communication between staff-administration-school board (possibly have staff presentations on a more regular basis to demonstrate classroom best practices, successes, etc....possibly every other board meeting.)
- Visit Classrooms periodically
- Send letters to students for their achievements
• Discussed Acknowledgement of USAgain Certificate of Sustainability McNulty to follow up
• Motion made Hentges and 2nd Kyllo to approve the contracts for Kari Amundson JH Softball coach, Julie Olson Spring Play Advisor, and Jenni Sebora Knowledge Bowl Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made Radtke and 2nd Otto to approve Mrs. Houg’s retirement/resignation. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
- Heigl read letter from Mrs. Houg
• Motion made Radtke and 2nd Hentges to approve the Seniority List for 2015 Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made Kyllo 2nd Otto to approve Lane Change for Alex Edlund. Vote 6 for, O against
• Motion made Radtke and 2nd Otto to approve Mr. McNulty’s resignation. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
- Heigl read letter from Mr. McNulty
• No report
• Motion made Heigl 2nd Hentges to renew Naier subscription Vote: 6 for, O against
• Motion made Hentges, 2nd Kyllo for resolution asking State Legislators to support formula funding growth for schools and students in Minnesota Vote 6 for, 0 against
• Make up days will now occur for any missed school due to weather Monday after Easter.
• Request to move two School Board meetings
- April 20th agreed to move to April 13th 5 p.m.
- June 15th agreed to move June 8th 6:30 p.m.
• Next meeting agenda items
- Updated budget for this year
- Update on Legislature funding
Meeting was adjourned at 6:35 PM.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal April 13, 2015.
Closed Meeting of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION