Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, August 17th 2015 6:30 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: MerriLea Kyllo, Karla Heigl, Mary Otto, Corbey Hentges, Steve Ziermann and Rawelin Radtke.
Administration present: Nathaniel Boyer, Jeremy Schmidt
Other Staff Blaine Walstrom
Guests: Patricia Heminover.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Hentges seconded by Kyllo to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Regular Board meeting of 7/20/15 & Special meeting of 07/20/15 & approval to pay bills in the amount of $180,160.66 & student activity Bills of $45 were also included. Vote 6 for, 0 against.
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Open dialogue none
Mr. Boyer K-12 Report: - highlights
• Summer School a success.
• Credit Recovery Students continue their progress in finishing coursework
• Attended SWSC Data Mine in Clara City
a. Studied demographics for Math and Reading
b. LP. Elementary Level was higher in Math and Reading than state avg.
c. High School followed State Trend
• High School and Elementary schedules released to teachers
Mr. Walstrom Report:
• FB has started and the #’s are up
• Cross Country started and the #’s are down
• Cheerleading #’s are down. 5 students participating
• 2016 school year St. Croix Prep and Spectrum added to the MCAA conference
Dave Uecker Facilities Report: highlights
• Finishing cleaning Kitchen, Cafeteria, Pre K, Teachers Lounge this week
• Moving Kids Depot
• Regular shifts start Monday the 24th
• Roof leaks were examined last week by Schwickert.
Further facility discussion took place to address parking lot repairs.
Radtke to address the repairs.
Ziermann reviewed the size of graduation stage needed and will bring the rental costs to the next meeting.
Mr. Schmidt’s Superintendent Report: Highlights
• Attended MCA meeting
• 7th grade to See speaker at McCray School- Bullying Prevention
• College Now from Southwest State College Calculus, etc. 23 students attended last year.
• Asking for approval to stay in Duluth for fall MASA conference
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed None
B. Community Ed. Meeting on Wednesday
C. LPPEA none
D. Facilities/Maint. next meeting Sept. 21st
E. Tech/Media new committee to be formed with new staff
F. Activities Committee Fall sports meeting held August 11th, looking at different options for Sports meetings
a. Certified Meet after regular board meeting
b. Non-Certified None
H. Meet & Confer meet 3rd Monday committee to look at past schedule
I. Policy Met before regular board meeting. New policies drafted for approval
• District student count as of 06/03/15 for K-12 is 416.
• Heigl read new Policies. 414-Child Neglect or Physical or Sexual Abuse , 415- Mandated reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults, and 427- Workload Limits for Certain Special Education Teachers
• Motion made by Radtke 2nd by Heigl to Approve Mandated Annual Policies: 410- Family Medical Leave, 413-Harassment and Violence, 414-Mandated Reporting of Child Neglect or Physical or Sexual Abuse, 415 Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults, 506-Student Discipline, 514-Bullying Prohibition, 522- Student Sex Nondiscrimination, 524-Internet Acceptable Use of Safety, and 616-School District System Accountability. Vote 6 for 0 against
• Motion made by Radtke 2nd by Heigl to approve Policies 707-Transportation of Public School Students-4 bus stops to be reviewed annually and consult with bus company, 800.1-Use of Buildings and Property, 521-change to Ms. Mattson from Lorenz, 419-added Tobacco Esig, and revision of policies 201, 202, 203, 209, 400.1, 404, 407, 418, 420, 500.1, 519, 531, 606, 715. Vote 6 for 0 against
• Solar Program Proposal moved to September meeting
• Heigl read resignation from Blaine Walstrom
• Motion made by Hentges and 2nd Radtke to approve the resignation of Blaine Walstrom as JV Girl’s Basketball coach.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Otto 2nd Kyllo to approve the following contracts;
a. Julie Olson Fall Play Advisor
b. Angela Leverich Jr. High Volleyball (7th)
c. Cheryl Bayerl Jr. High Volleyball (8th)
d. Christine Mattson National Honor Society
e. Troy Feltman Media Coordinator
f. Terri Schuft-Helland Elem/HS Band Performance
g. David Rue Elem Choir Performance
h. David Rue HS Choir Performance
i. Kim DeBruyckre Yearbook/Annual Advisor
j. Bill Neubarth Jr. High Football
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl 2nd by Hentges to maintain the per day substitute teacher pay including assigned regular members Vote 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Hentges 2nd by Radtke to approve staff and student handbooks for the 2015-2016 School Year Vote 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo 2nd Hentges to approve 10 year long-term Facilities Maintenance Projections Vote 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl , 2nd Ziermann to approve LP School District Goals set during Special Board Meeting on 7-20-15 Vote 6 for, 0 against
• Patti Heminover spoke to Board regarding referendum revenue and presented the best options for Operating Levy Renewal and Referendum
• Motion made by Heigl 2nd Radtke for the Resolution determining the necessity of rescinding previously converted Board approved authority and restoring it to voter approved referendum revenue authority and replacing it with a new voter approved authorization, increasing general education revenue to $375 and calling a special election and referendum thereon.
Roll call vote: Heigl-Yes, Radtke-Yes, Kyllo-Yes, Hentges-Yes, Otto-Yes, Ziermann-Yes
• Next meeting September 24th 6 p.m. agenda items
- Solar Power Presentation
Meeting was adjourned at 8:04 P.M.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal Oct. 5, 2015.