Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, March 21st 2016 6:30 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: MerriLea Kyllo, Karla Heigl, Mary Otto, and Steve Ziermann. Absent: Corbey Hentges and Rawelin Radtke. Staff and administration present: Blaine Walstrom, Nathaniel Boyer, and Jeremy Schmidt Guests: Dave Uecker- Marsden and Ivan Raconteur of the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Kyllo seconded by Otto to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Regular Board meeting of 2/16/16 & approval to pay bills in the amount of $138,103.56 & student activity fees of $1,100.22 were also included. Vote 4 for, 0 against.
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Communication Band Concert was good. Students recognized for solo ensemble contests.
B. Open dialogue none
Mr. Boyer K-12 Report: - highlights
• Title One /EL Night was held on March 10th with great attendance
• Third quarter ends March 23rd
• Ramp Up training will include three staff members instead of five
• Congrats to winter sports teams
• Jen Millard accepted position in Annandale
Mr. Schmidt Superintendent Report: - highlights
• Attended SW/WC education meeting to discuss upcoming trends
• Overall Teacher shortage
• Civil Rights group coming to visit our school
• Attending NSBA conference on April 8th-11th
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed Walk thru with Civil Rights group
B. Community Ed. Winter activities wrap up
C. LPPEA Met on March 9th
a. Book fair results reported.
b. Discussed fundraising for the fall
c. Co-Chair needed
a. 14 work orders
b. $$ budgeted for new baskets
c. Faulty smoke detector removed and approved by Fire Marshall
d. Basketball hoists need repair researching repair vs. new
e. Changing cleaning staffing
f. Drinking fountains to be replaced in summer
g. Waiting on quotes for concessions stand
E. Tech/Media Mr. Schmidt to set up next meeting
F. Activities Committee met on March 18th
a. LPHT agreement- change to current year for home game %
b. Discussed combining dance teams with HT
c. Spring Sports started
d. Speech Declamation - add it back in as activity
a. Non-Certified mid April
H. Meet & Confer none
I. Policy Meeting to be scheduled before July board meeting
J. Legislative: Heigl
a. State Legislative Session : State surplus $$ not as much as first reported
i. Possible rural broadband grant money available
ii. A lot of one time money funding
• District student count as of 03/18/16 for K-12 is 409.
• Solar Program Proposal no motion Board waiting on solar company.
• Heigl read resignation from Christine Dammann Football Cheerleading coach.
• Motion made by Ziermann and 2nd by Otto to approve the resignation of Christine Dammann as Football Cheerleading coach. Vote: 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl and 2nd Kyllo to approve the contract for Cheryl Bayerl as Football Cheerleading Coach. Vote: 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Otto and 2nd Ziermann to approve the contract for Mike Lee as Junior High Baseball coach. Vote: 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl 2nd by Kyllo to set school board work session following the June 20th Board meeting. Vote 4 for, 0 against
Note: Make up school days will now occur for any missed school at the end of the regular school year
• Motion made by Heigl 2nd by Otto to accept mowing contract bids for the 2016 at a per time basis and seasonal rates. Vote 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Ziermann 2nd Kyllo to approve audit contract with Eide-Bailey for the fiscal year ending June 30th, 2016 Vote 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo , 2nd Heigl to approve the acknowledgement that the Minnesota School Employees Association has submitted desire to negotiate. Vote 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo 2nd Otto to approve the Special Education Cooperative Agreement with SW/WC Service Cooperative. Vote 4 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl 2nd. Ziermann to approve agreement with Schindler Elevator Corporation. Vote 4 for, 0 against
• Next meeting Monday April 18th at 6:30 p.m.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:48 P.M.
/s/ Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal April 25, 2016.