Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, August 15th, 2016 6:30 pm
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Karla Heigl, Mary Otto, Corbey Hentges, MerriLea Kyllo, Steve Ziermann and Rawelin Radtke. Administration present: Jeremy Schmidt and Nathaniel Boyer.
Guests: Caleb Sebora for the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
• Motion by Hentges, seconded by Radtke to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of regular meeting 07/15/16 & approval to pay bills in the amount of $154,522.08 and student activity fees of $3,398 were also included. Vote: 6 for, 0 against.
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Open dialogue – none
Mr. Boyer K-12 Report: - highlights
• Teachers will officially report on August 3rd, 2016
• Open House will be on August 31st, 2016
• Attended the NC Collaborative to discuss plans for the 2016-17 school year.
o We will be holding an Ed Camp in Grove City for the teaching staff members of all collaborative schools on Monday Oct 3rd.
• Attend NC collaborative to review testing results. More detailed information from this meeting will be shared with you during the September School Board Meeting.
o LP Secondary School sets a new high mark for proficiency in science.
o LP Elementary School Sets new high mark for proficiency in math.
• High School and Elementary schedules posted today
• Bulldog TAB will be published and available very soon
Mr. Schmidt Report: highlights
• Attended MDE
o Speaker Tom B. reported the school funding has not kept up with inflation – Districts should contact legislature
o Commissioner – Spoke about consolidating forms for districts
• 432 students projected for 2016-17 school year– local and some new
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed – None
B. Community Ed. – Looking for someone for workout classes
C. LPPEA – No meetings
D. Facilities/Maint. –
a. Completing new concession stand to meet codes
b. 2 new drinking fountains installed
c. 2 of 4 new winches for hoops installed
d. New hire coming in
E. Tech/Media – none
F. Activities Committee – Fall Sports started
G. Negotiations - none
H. Meet & Confer – none
I. Policy – few on agenda
J. Legislative - none
• District student count as of 5/11/2016 for K-12 is 406.
a. Motion by Ziermann and 2nd by Otto to approve mandatory policy 506 Student Discipline. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Heigl read policy 520 Student Surveys and policy 529 Staff Notification of Violent Behavior by Students
• Eric Pasi – Solar Panel Project
o Attorneys with Pasi’s group looking at agreements – Would like time to go over them
o LP to share with Cokato Solar garden
o Radtke asked how soon until construction?
- Middle of next summer to start
- 2 months to complete
o Ziermann – asked if this is more costs to district as far as attorney fees etc.
- LP attorneys RSW will need to look at contracts again which will cost more to district
o Otto – asked if we can apply for Cokato location
- 1st come 1st served basis
o Kyllo – has concerns for the lack of response from Pasi
- Pasi apologized for the lack of communication due to heavy load of other solar projects.
o Projected $400,000 savings over the next 25 years
• Motion made by Kyllo and 2nd by Radtke to approve the contracts for:
• Troy Feltman, Media Coordinator
• Tina T.-Scherer, JV Volleyball
• Angela Leverich, Jr. High Volleyball
• Rebecca Heimerl, Jr. High Volleyball
• Joe Scoblic, Dean of Students
• Katherine Carmine, FPS Coordinator
• Katherine Carmine, Knowledge Bowl
• Paige Aldrich, Science Fair Coordinator
• Sam Scoblic, Sped Paraprofessional
• Christy Maesse, Library Paraprofessional
• William Neubarth, Jr. High Football
• Christy Maesse, Kid’s Depot Worker
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Radtke and 2nd by Otto to approve lane change for Amy Smith from MA to MA+10. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Agenda next Board meeting on September 19th at 6:30pm
o Solar Panel Garden
Meeting was adjourned at 7:08 p.m.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal Sept. 26, 2016.