Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, September 18th, 2017 5:45 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Mary Otto, Steve Ziermann, Corbey Hentges, Mark Sebora, Rebecca Heimerl, and Meganne Stifter-Knoll. Administration and Staff present: Jeremy Schmidt, Nathaniel Boyer, Blaine Walstrom, and Kim DeBruyckere. Other Guests: Dennis and Karissa Tumberg, Barb Kegler and Ivan Raconteur for Herald Journal
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Otto seconded by Sebora to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Regular and Special Board meetings of 08/21/17, and 9/1/17 and in the same motion approve the approval to pay bills in the amount of $148,723.80 & Student Activity for $2,962.19.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Communication Report -
1. FB game, had a great turnout for Tackle Cancer
a. Cards to be sent to Organizers of event
b. $5,000 +was raised for this event
2. Girls JH volleyball took 3rd place in BLH tournament.
B. Open dialogue Board listened to concerns for Pre School bus stops from Mr. Dennis Tumberg. Has a 4 year old waiting at bus stop across busy road. Would like bus to stop within housing development
a. Board will review his concerns and discuss with administration on resolution
C. Board listened to concerns from Karissa Tumberg on same issue. Another concern was the available seating on bus for preschoolers riding with older students. Mr. Schmidt indicated that they should have assigned seating up front of the bus for preschoolers and would confirm with bus company bus has a sign indicating seating.
Mr. Boyer K-12 Report: - highlights
• The first day of school was on September 5th, 2017
• We had our first Youth task Force Meeting on Wednesday, September 13th and made plans for our Free Lunches and other activities throughout the year. We have 4 student representatives
• Randy Shaver Tackle Cancer fundraiser coordinated by Mrs. Cheryl Bayerl and Mrs. Christine Mattson did extremely well, earning over $5,000
• Mr. Schmidt and I are on solid pace for our walkthroughs and formal observations
• Date Mine Information Results gives opportunities to close achievement gap.
Mr. Schmidt Superintendent Report: - highlights
• City Comprehensive plan - Meeting with Adam B. on Thursday to develop ways to work together
• Working on Student enrollment, and making sure we have room and good student flow, along with meeting the needs of all the new students
• Attended County Transportation meeting for round about on Hwy. 7 and Hwy 1.
o Adam and Mr. Schmidt to write letter to the County
• SWWC Is looking for new Board members meet only in Marshall for those interested.
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed none
B. Community Ed. none
C. PTO meet on Sept. 6th
a. 40 more subscriptions for IXCEL Math
b. Great attendance
c. Club Choice Fundraiser again
d. Christine Peterson for Reading and Math core
e. Ram Donated material for project
D. Facilities/Maint. committee - none
a. Looking for substitutes when custodians are out sick or on vacation
b. OSHA Training conducted on Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure
c. Inspections - Conducted the end of summer audits of classrooms and bathrooms and everything looked great
d. Rearranged banners in gym
e. Replaced non-slip grip strips on ramp in gym
f. Grilled 500 hotdogs at Open House for staff, students and their families
g. Installed new smart boards in rooms 102,125 and 110
E. Tech/Media none
F. Activities Committee Cross Country has received a lot of compliments on the change of the program
a. Girls BB the # of students participating are down
a. Non-Certified none
b. Certified meeting on Sept. 20th
H. Meet & Confer none
I. Policy Policy for PSEO students on school grounds
J. Legislative: Sebora none
• District student count as of 09/10/17 for K-12 is 453
• Motion made by Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to approve Policy 903: Visitors to school district buildings and sites.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Old Business - none
Personnel Issues - none
• Motion made by Ziermann and 2nd by Stifter-Knoll to approve the certified proposed 2017, payable 2018 Property Tax Levy Limitations at the maximum amount. Final amount to be given at the December School Board meeting.
Roll call vote: Hentges yes, Ziermann yes, Stifter-Knoll yes, Otto yes, Sebora yes, Heimerl - yes Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Ziermann and 2nd by Hentges to approve the donations to Lester Prairie Schools in the amount of $64,906.48
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• October meeting date and time set for Monday October 16th at 7 p.m.
Meeting was adjourned at 6:58 P.M.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal Oct. 20, 2017.