Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday December 17th, 2018 5:45 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Corbey Hentges, Mark Sebora, Steve Ziermann, Megan Stifter Knoll, Rebecca Heimerl, and Mary Otto. Administration present: Mike Lee, and Jeremy Schmidt. Other staff present: Kim DeBruyckere Guests: Merle Mathews and Ivan Raconteur for the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Otto seconded by Stifter-Knoll to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Regular Board meeting of 11/21/18, Special Meeting on 12/10/18 and the approval to pay bills in the amount of $108,039.93 & student activity fees of $1,789.78 were also included. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
• Communication Report -
1. Elementary/High School Concert was given a standing ovation. Fun Sing along
• Open dialogue none
Mr. Lee K-12 Report: - highlights
• PTO had a successful preK-3rd grade Fall party approximately 50 kids plus families
• The second free lunch of the year hosted by St. Paul Lutheran Church on Nov. 21st. Approximately 190 participated.
• Youth task Force Meeting was Wednesday, December 12th
• McLeod County Deputy and Canine Kilo came for a visit on December 10th
• Outdated/unused books in library were given away and or recycled
• Come and Play Day for Kindergarten and 1st grade this past Friday - lots of parents /grandparents attended.
• Laser Engraver was delivered today from BOLD. We share a sublimation (Lift Grant Purchase) printer/press, laser engraver, and vinyl printer with BOLD and GSL.
• Teacher in-service on vaping will be held on January 18th Presented by McLeod County Brett Nelson
o Student Anti-Vaping
Mr. Schmidt Superintendent Report highlights
• Insurance Meeting Rebid for Insurance as the rates have been increasing - looking at options
• Early Childhood Meeting Dept. of Education paperwork with Coop.
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed none
B. Community Ed. none
C. PTO met on 12/12
a. Portable coat rack $$$ requested
b. K-3 Family night successful will do again
c. No report yet on Holiday Store
d. Movie night will be scheduled
a. Taking applications for a part time evening cleaning position
b. OSHA training on SDS Safety Data Sheets
c. Monthly audits completed with each worker
d. Replaced Sloan top mount urinal in boys bathroom
e. Two way communications Inc. repaired walkie- talkies by replacing batteries and antennas
f. Office door knob replaced
g. Receiving estimates for Gym curtain repair
h. Hentges noticed bathroom doors by elevator not closing.
E. Facilities School Committee met several times
a. Interviewed 3 construction companies
b. Wenck chosen as construction manager
c. Wenck is helping out with survey at no cost.
a. working on Erate bids for wireless AP upgrade
b. Need sound guy for acoustics in gym
G. Activities Committee met prior to meeting
a. Director Report Kraemer
i. Varsity Boys and Girls BB off to a great start. Boys are 5-0 Girls are 3-1.
ii. The GSL/LP wrestling team are wrestling tough
iii. LP Triple A award winners were selected by a group of teachers, Eryn Amundson was the girls selection and Tyler Scheevel was the boys winner.
iv. Tomahawk conference is considering adding us, no decisions will be made for months. Wouldn’t occur until 2020-2021 season
v. Received 2 nice applicants for JH high softball position
vi. Looking at adding a Captains and Leaders program similar to Granite Ridge Conference starting next fall.
b. Committee Report
i. Considering flip flopping JH Girls and JH Boys basketball schedules. Girls play Nov. Dec. Boys. Jan. Feb.
ii. No Gym report yet on the use of Winsted gym. Spots keep appearing.
iii. Open gym in LP starting Jan. 6th Managed by Tyler Helland
iv. Home and away signs in gym completed
v. Need more tape added to bleachers indicating no step
a. Non-Certified none
. Administration none
I. Meet & Confer none
J. Policy none meet in the summer
K. Legislative: none
District count as of 12/11/18 = 469 students
Old Business - none
Personnel Issues none
• Motion by Otto and 2nd by Heimerl to approve the Levy in the amount of $967,872.90 Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion by Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to move the approval of school calendar to next month meeting
o Discussion - Getting Teacher input
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Next Meeting Regular and Re-org meeting to be held on January 14th
Meeting was adjourned at 6:25 P.M.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal Jan. 18, 2019.