Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Wednesday February 6th, 2019 5:45 p.m.
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Corbey Hentges, Mark Sebora, Steve Ziermann, Megan Stifter Knoll, Rebecca Heimerl, and Mary Otto. Administration present: Mike Lee, Jeremiah Kraemer, Jan Smith, Kim DeBruyckere, Joe Scoblic and Jeremy Schmidt Guests: 3 Students, several Community members and Ivan Raconteur for the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
Motion by Otto seconded by Heimerl to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of the Regular Board meeting of 1/14/19, and the approval to pay bills in the amount of $51,901.04 & student activity fees of $3,713.73 were also included.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
• Communication Report -
1.One Act Play went to sections
2. Knowledge Bowl Team placed 7th
3. FPS Held at LP was successful. Schools pleased with the location.
• Open dialogue none
Mr. Lee K-12 Report: - highlights
• Very good and informative presentation on vaping and tobacco by Brett Nelson from McLeod/Sibley/Meeker County Health on January 18th.
• Staff Christmas Party at the Blue Note on the 19th was well attended. Thanks to the social committee for organizing the event.
• Excellent Mental Health Lyceum will be January 23rd @ 11:00 for 9th-12 grade students
• Geography Bee winner - Logan Lambrecht
• One Act Play won the regional competition at HLWW - moved on to the section competition @ Providence Academy on Feb 2nd
• Snow Fest Week finally scheduled
• Kindergarten Registration - 25 returned already - 47 district resident children were invited.
Mr. Schmidt Superintendent Report: - highlights
• Region 3 Day will be held at the Capitol on march 21st
• Attended MSBA conference with Board member Ziermann attended an awards luncheon recognizing board members
• MASA Coop with Shelly May
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed Community Ed packets printed and mailed out
B. Community Ed. none
C. PTO none
D. Facilities/Maint Committee to meet after reg. meeting
a. Curtailed Fuel usage switched to Propane and ran out and refilled
b. Sprinkler head was leaking and one froze flushed and drained
c. New staff hired
E. Tech/Media Met on Jan. 27th Reviewed estimates for wireless upgrade
F. Activities Committee
a. Director Report Kraemer
i. Robotics off to great start
ii. One Act Play great performance winning the Sub Section
iii. Looking at dates for Spring Activities meeting
iv. FPS LP host site thanks to all that helped
v. Track and Field asking for another coach- 43 athletes participating.
vi. Basketball teams competing well getting ready for playoffs
vii. Gavin Star placed 4th in Regional Spelling Bee
a. Non-Certified none
b. Administration met Jan. 29th to discuss AD/DOS contract
i. Mr. Schmidt to present Contract to Mr. Kraemer
H. Meet & Confer none
I. Policy none
J. Legislative: 53 New Bills introduced at the state level concerning schools. A couple of them are Increased funding, Full Funding for Special Ed. The topic of Cursive handwriting being discussed.
District count as of 2/1/19 = 471 students
Old Business none
• Motion by Otto and 2nd by Stifter Knoll to approve Anna Willems as JH Softball Coach Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion by Ziermann and 2nd by Sebora to approve Rachel Stender as Spring Play Advisor Vote: 6 for, 0 against
School Finance - none
A. Presentation of District Survey Results by Sue Peterson from School Perceptions
o 468 Responded
o 44% participation
o Typical participation is 18 to 20%
o 93% would likely vote for some bond kind of bond
B. Motion by Heimerl and 2nd by Ziermann to approve Membership Agreement with SW/WC Cooperative for the 2019-2020 School Year. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
C. Motion by Heimerl and 2nd by Stifter Knoll to approve Volleyball Fundraiser “Sponsor a Player” again. Head Coach Otto consulted with the team. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
D. Discussion took place regarding snow day make up.
• Motion by Otto and 2nd by Heimerl to approve April 22nd as make up day as needed. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Meeting was adjourned at 6:47 P.M.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal March 22, 2019.