Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday December 16, 2019 5:45pm
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Corbey Hentges, Steve Ziermann, Megan Stifter Knoll, Mary Otto, Brian Heimerl, and Rebecca Heimerl. Administration present: Melissa Radeke, Mike Lee, Jeremiah Kraemer and Alice Daak. Other Staff: Marc Wawrzyniak, Jen Smith, and Kim Debruyckere Guests: Ivan Raconteur for the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Steve Ziermann.
• Motion by Otto second by R. Heimerl to approve the Agenda as presented and or modified Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
• Communication Report -
1. Elementary concert very good with Christmas songs
2. Wrestling meet held in LP with Cheerleaders and spotlight etc.
• Open dialogue none
Minutes and Bills
• Motion by Otto and second Heimerl to approve the meeting minutes of the Regular Board meeting on 11/18 and pay the bills in the amount of $366,682.25 and student activity fees of $1,736.70 Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Mr. Lee K-12 Principal Report: - highlights
• 2020 Senior Class trip scheduled to New York
• Jan. 20th North Collaborative held at BOLD Theme: Engaging Students in their own learning.
• Lockdown at school performed for medical emergency and canine with intruder
• 7th-9th grade ski trip planned
• NHS toys for tots collected 155 toys.
Jeremiah Kraemer AD Report: - highlights
• Looking at switching conferences
• Most schools in the MCAA do not have JH sports
• One conference option is the Minnesota River Conference
• LPHS currently plays against 3 of the schools
• MRC would be less travel and more competitive
Board agreed to look in to the option of switching to the MRC.
Dr. Melissa Radeke Superintendent Report: - highlights
• Enrollment 479 students
• General Obligation Capital Facilities Bonds Spreadsheet created to track building project expenses
• Transportation Waiver form created for students with other use of transportation to and from school events
• McLeod County/Red Cross looking at LPHS for use of emergency shelter
• Dashir report highlights: Fully staffed, windows replaced in 10 rooms. Boilers tuned up, repairs in kitchen and boys locker room completed.
• Annual MSBA Conference to take place Jan. 16-17th. Board member Ziermann attending
• New Cottage Food law and Potluck law policies in place. Mandated by the Dept. of Health. Signs and labels need to be in place.
School Board Reports
• Community Ed. none
• PTO met last Wednesday
a. Christmas store taking on by LPHS vs. vendor provided
b. Several applicants have been awarded $$.
i. Mr. Teut - Robotics
ii. Mr. Scoblic router
a. Mark Lenz with MLA to speak
• Activities Committee none
o Certified none
o Non-Certified - none
o Administration none
• Meet & Confer none
• Policy set for Jan. 14th
• Legislative MSBA Delegate Assembly approved 23 out of 28 proposed legislative resolutions Saturday, December 7th in Minneapolis.
• Motion by Otto and 2nd by Ziermann to approve Health Insurance MOU Contract Language for School Principal. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Mark Lenz with MLA gave an update with slides.
• Front entry colors Burgundy
• Slim brick with tilt up precast
• Interior development with Terrazzo flooring
Marc Wawrzyniak and Jen Smith gave report on Senior Class Trip
• LS Tours to New York for 3 nights stay March 23rd 26th
• 50% (14) of class signed up for trip
• Only 18 of Senior Class participated in fund raising
• $$ were saved by flying and pairing up in rooms
• Motion by R. Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to approve Senior Class trip as presented.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Truth in Taxation Presentation Slide show presented by Dr. Radeke
• No questions from the public
• Motion by R. Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to approve certified levy in the amount of $1,945,156.73 for The School District of Lester Prairie. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion by R. Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to approve Ashley Weber as long-term substitute from January 2nd, 2020 to March 20th 2020. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion by R. Heimerl and 2nd by Otto to approve FMLA #20-2 for approximately 10 weeks beginning 2/24/20 to 5/1/20. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion by R. Heimerl and 2nd by Ziermann to approve the review of Lester Prairie Public School Lead in Water Written Plan.
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• K-4 transportation discussion
o Dr. Radeke spoke about looking for policy
o Board agreed for Pre-K 4th grade policy to be written
Other Items for the Board
Meeting was adjourned at 6:55 PM.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal Jan. 10, 2020.